Practice projects complete

All projects complete and quite a few lessons learnt!  Now waiting for the workshop to be signed off so that I can get started on the vertical stabiliser.  The hardest element so far has definitely been riveting with the gun and mushroom head.  Twice I have slipped off the manufactured head and dented the skin.  I think that riveting with the gun is definitely a 3/4 handed operation. Shaping the leading edge is not easy either and I will take a good deal more time setting up on the kit itself.  Overall, the section looks okay, my inspector will give me the verdict.  Tools to order:

  • Speed deburrer
  • More cobalt jobber drills (first one blunt already)
  • A better way of connecting the compressor
  • Trailing edge drilling jig

I think I have decided on a primer from Stuart Systems – EkoPrime.  Emailed them last night and got an immediate response on a Saturday!  Looks like you need EkoClean and then EkoEtch before the primer is applied.  They distribute through Aircraft Spruce which I should be able to get through LAS. I have built a frame from the empennage crate to spray onto but need to screen off the end of the garage.

Vans Practice Project

Be the first to comment on "Practice projects complete"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.